Information for people impacted by the crisis in Afghanistan

New legal assistance available for people from Afghanistan

The ASRC is partnering with a number of law firms and a large number of volunteer lawyers to provide free legal assistance to people from Afghanistan through a legal clinic.

This service is limited to people calling from Victoria, South Australia and Northern Territory because there are other free legal services providing similar help in other states. Details for other free interstate services can be found here.



Legal assistance is now available If you are seeking information or legal assistance to:

1. Prepare an offshore special humanitarian visa for family members who are in Afghanistan or now in other countries.

For detailed information about applying for an offshore humanitarian visa see infokit here.
See translation of this infokit in your language:

See also this Guide about which family members you can include in your application here

You can also view answers to Frequently Asked Questions for those who have already lodged their application, here.

For proposing someone for an offshore humanitarian visa click here.
See translation of the Australian Proposers infosheet in your language:

2. You are from Afghanistan living in Australia and have had your protection visa application refused.

3. If you are in Afghanistan and seeking visa information or other help, please see our infosheet here.
See translation of this infosheet in your language: 

4. You seek referral for ongoing legal assistance with other kinds of offshore family visa applications or an existing offshore special humanitarian application. Click here to view an information session in Dari/English about visa options for Afghan Australians with family impacted by the crisis in Afghanistan.

The ASRC would like to acknowledge the very generous law firms which have contributed to this initiative to make it possible:

  • Maurice Blackburn Lawyers
  • Gadens Lawyers
  • Carina Ford Lawyers
  • Victoria Legal Aid
  • Mary Hanna Lawyers
  • WLW Migration Lawyers
  • Clothier Anderson and Associates
  • AUM Lawyers
  • Russell Kennedy Lawyers
  • King and Wood Mallesons

Only use a registered migration agent or lawyer who regularly provides immigration advice. The lawyers listed below may help you with your immigration matter. They will charge fees for their assistance, called legal fees or professional fees.

A lawyer must give you a ‘
costs agreement.’ This document is your legal contract with your lawyer and explains how much money you must pay, when you must pay it, and what you can expect from your lawyer.

Carina Ford Immigration Lawyers(03) 9396 0207office@carinafordlawyers.comFootscray
Clothier Anderson & Associates(03) 9347
PB & B Immigration Lawyers(03) 9381 0770 / 0411 612
Mary Hanna Lawyers(03) 9077
Abode Migration Lawyers(03) 9607 CBD
Kerdo Legal(03) 9416
Playfair Visa and Migration Services(03) 8763
Erskine Rodan & Associates(03) 9329 Melbourne
WLW Migration Lawyers(03) 9088 Melbourne

Legal Referral - Interstate

If you are in Australia but not living in Victoria, please contact a free legal service in your state, details are here:

  • Refugee Legal (VIC): Call 03 9413 0166 between 9.00-5.00pm Mon-Fri.
  • RACS (NSW): Telephone advice: Monday – Friday 10am – 1pm or 2pm – 4pm on 02 8355
    7227 or email with your name and phone number and they willcall you back
  • IARC (NSW) Call (02) 8234 0700
  • RAILS (QLD): Email or call on (07) 3846 9300.
  • Green Circle (WA) call (08) 6148 3636
  • TRLS (TAS) Phone (03) 61699473 email
  • Refugee Advice Service of SA &Justice Net SA (SA & NT