Are you interested in studying?

Information for people considering further study

What is vocational training?​

To work in some jobs, you will need to have post-school training or education. Vocational education provides a combination of coursework and hands-on training for specific jobs. There are a wide range of courses to choose from.

The Victorian Government fund vocational education for some people seeking asylum. The ASRC runs the ASVET (Asylum Seeker Vocational Education and Training) program to help people seeking asylum and refugees to find and enrol in vocational training.

For more information to help you find the right course and enrol, visit the Student Resources page.

Am I eligible for the ASVET vocational training program?

To be eligible for ASVET, you must:

  • Be living in Victoria AND
  • Hold an eligible visa:
    1. hold any humanitarian, protection, or refugee visa in Australia, OR
    2. have applied for a humanitarian, protection or refugee visa and hold a bridging visa for this purpose, OR
    3. have made an application under s.417 or s.48b of the Migration Act 1958 (Cth) which is yet to be determined and hold a bridging visa, AND
  • Have study rights, and if your course includes work placement you must also have work rights.

What vocational courses does ASVET cover?

The ASVET initiative covers a wide range of courses:

  • VCE (the Victorian Certificate of Education – years 11 and 12 in Victoria)
  • Foundation Studies – EAL (English as an Additional Language Certificates)
  • VET Certificate levels I to IV
  • Diplomas
  • Advanced Diplomas.

Applicants undertaking VCE, or courses at Certificate levels I to IV, are eligible for a Victorian Government subsidised Skills First place, and a concessional tuition fee rate.

Applicants undertaking a Diploma or Advanced Diploma are eligible for a Victorian Government subsidised place with tuition fees at the domestic student rate (unfortunately there is no concession rate for diplomas).

Interested in ASVET?

Call the ASRC on (03) 9274 9807 or (03) 7068 8063 to make an appointment with an Education Advisor. This service is available to both members and non-members.

What other options are available?

University scholarships

People seeking asylum are able to go to university, but all bridging visa holders and temporary refugees must pay international student fees unless they are granted a scholarship.

If you are not able to pay international student fees, there are a limited number of scholarships provided by Universities for people seeking asylum holding various bridging visas and temporary refugees. The Refugee Education Special Interest Group provide information on scholarships:

The ASRC works with universities to provide information about university scholarships and provide access support for people seeking asylum. We collaborate with universities to run information sessions for people seeking asylum and refugees on temporary visas across the Melbourne metropolitan region.

For more information please contact the ASRC on (03) 9274 9807 or (03) 7068 8063 and make an appointment with an Education Advisor.


Apprenticeships and traineeships are learning pathways that combine both paid workplace training and some formal classroom training. For more information about what an apprenticeship is, click here

People seeking asylum who are eligible for ASVET may be able to enrol in an apprenticeship. However there may still be some challenges involved.

An ASRC Education Advisor can tell you more. Please contact the ASRC on (03) 9274 9807 or (03) 7068 8063 to make an appointment.

Other studies

Other options for study include non-accredited English language classes offered by community organisations and neighbourhood houses. The ASRC’s online English for Work classes are open to anyone seeking asylum.

The Pathways to Employment program supports people seeking asylum with their language, literacy and numeracy skills, to be ready for the Australian workforce.

English For Work is a language, literacy and numeracy course that covers topics such as Australian workplace culture, managing money, transport and communication for work.
Contact an ASRC Education Advisor on (03) 9274 9807 for more information.

Frequently Asked Questions

You can use ID such as your passport or Immicard to check your study and work rights here.

If you don’t have any of the ID documents available or your Immicard has expired you can apply for a new one here or call ASRC on (03) 9326 6066 for assistance

Unfortunately you are not eligible for the ASVET program. The Refugee Education Special Interest Group provides information for people seeking asylum in all states and territories, at this link: TAFE access for TPV/SHEV and Bridging Visa holders.

That’s great! You can call the ASRC on (03) 9274 9807 or (03) 9274 9834 to make an appointment with an ASVET Education Advisor, and discuss your needs and options. 

That’s great! The ASRC runs these language, literacy and numeracy courses.

To discuss further, call the ASRC on (03) 9274 9807 to make an appointment with an Education Advisor.

The ASRC offers a limited number of student placements each year, dependent on the organisation’s needs. Most of these placements are arranged through existing agreements with universities and TAFEs rather than on an individual basis. If you would like to pursue a student placement at the ASRC, please contact your university / tertiary education provider.

Yes! If you are school-aged, you can study in a Victorian state primary or secondary school, without paying international student fees.

If you are older and still want to complete VCE, then ASVET is an option for you. To discuss further, call the ASRC on (03) 9274 9807 or (03) 9274 9834 to make an appointment with an Education Advisor. 

Access resources for students

Brochures and other resources available for people considering studying.

For more information about Education at ASRC, please contact an Education Advisor on (03) 9274 9807 or (03) 9274 9834